With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God count you worthy of his calling,
and that by his power he fulfill every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith.
We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him,
according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
2 Thessalonians 1:11-12

Thursday, June 24

Third Culture Kid

Have you ever had one of those days when something just clicks in your mind? Well, yesterday was totally that day for me! In my training for teaching at an international school in Singapore, we spent the majority of the day talking about "Third Culture Kids" (aka TCKs). The funny thing is that I didn't realize that I AM ONE!!! So what is a TCK? A TCK is...

"[A] person who has spent a significant part of his or her developmental years outside the parents' culture. The TCK builds relationships to all of the cultures, while not having full ownership in any. Although elements from each culture are assimilated into the TCK's life experience, the sense of belonging is in relationship to others of the same background."

I lived in Indonesia for three years, while I was in 6th through 8th grade. I knew that this experience changed me, but I didn't fully understand how much until yesterday. As the presenter was explaining TCKs, I began to understand myself better. The feelings that I had when I moved back to the states in 9th grade and that I have had since were completely validated! It may seem dramatic, but for one of the first times in my life, I felt like I had a place to "belong", a people that understood me. Since living overseas, I have never felt totally comfortable here in the United States. Many of you know that I don't know much American pop culture. I think that part of the reason why is because I don't place the same value on it because of my love for other cultures (especially Asian cultures!). It's hard to fully explain, but here are a few characteristics of TCKs that may help you better understand us:

Benefits:
  • Adaptable, Flexible, and Confident in Change
  • Recognition of the importance of NOW
  • Sense of Realism (loss comes to all)
  • Independent (self-reliant)
  • Culturally Tolerant and Adventurous

Challenges:
  • Rootless, Restless, Migratory Instinct
  • Guarded (reluctant to let people in)
  • Emotional Flattening
  • "Quick Release" Response (pull away quickly from relationships)
  • Isolation and/or Alienation
  • Uncertain in Passport Culture ("Own" Culture)

It's hard to completely explain all that I experienced yesterday, but let me tell ya, it was HUGE for me! I really wish I knew about TCKs sooner, but I am glad that at least I do know now! I am so excited to have a classrooms full of TCKs and to be able to help them understand what they are going through! May the Lord Jesus use my experiences as a middle schooler in Indonesia to speak to my students! All for the glory of His Name!

2 comments:

  1. So cool Kara! Glad you had an awhaw moment those are fun! I am officially following your blog and praying for you! So excited for the only TCK I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tori... thank you so much for your comment! I am so glad that you are following me and I am honored to be the only TCK you know! Love you girl! :)

    ReplyDelete