With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God count you worthy of his calling,
and that by his power he fulfill every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith.
We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him,
according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
2 Thessalonians 1:11-12

Friday, September 3

He is faithful

Hey Friends! This blog is long overdue and I’m very sorry! I’ve joked with a few friends that I’ve written this blog several times in my head while on public transportation… but just haven’t had a chance to sit at the computer and type it! So… I’m finally finding the time this Saturday morning… here goes nothing!


The past month or so of living in Singapore has been a very fun and exciting time. I’ve had the opportunity to see many interesting places, eat lots of good food, and build many new friendships. But in some ways, it has already been very difficult and my faith is already being stretched!

It’s been a season (and I think it will continue to be… ) of learning to trust in God’s faithfulness. In so many ways, God has shown himself to be faithful towards me! One weekend in particular, God got my attention… One Thursday night, after leaving school, I walked over to the shopping mall close to school to pick up some groceries and other things that I needed. While walking back to the bus stop, about a 10 – 15 minute walk… I was praying and just talking to the Lord. As I walked down a residential street, one thing I prayed for specifically was opportunities to talk with Singaporean people. I prayed and asked the Lord for the chance to meet believers so that we could mutually encourage each other. I also prayed for opportunities to share my faith with unbelieving people. It’s difficult to meet local people here for several reasons. One is that I spend so much time at work and with the international community. This is not a bad thing, but I just don’t want that to be all of what I do while I’m here. Another reason is because of the culture here. It’s not that people aren’t friendly, but it’s just different… for example, while walking down the street people don’t look you in the eyes and definitely don’t smile. So I prayed and sought the Lord…

The next Saturday morning, I had planned to leave pretty early to go set up my bank account and later that day, my cell phone plan. When I woke up, a friend of mine was online, so I ended up skyping with her, which threw off “my schedule”. So, I hurried to get ready (wanting to avoid long lines at the bank) and ran out of my flat and hopped on the lift to go down to ground level. On the twelfth floor, a Singaporean lady got on the lift and to my surprise, she smiled at me and asked if I lived in the building. I, of course, said yes and we got to talking. She asked where I was going and I told her that I was going to take the mrt (mass rapid transit… aka, the subway) station. She asked if I knew the short cut to the station from our building and offered to show me the way. So I took her up on her offer and we walked to the station and then rode the mrt together. Come to find out, she was on her way to church for an outreach event that her church was hosting! We had a great conversation and I was so encouraged! Once we headed our separate ways, I remembered what I had prayed two days earlier… I praised the Lord and thanked Him for answering my prayer! He is faithful!

“For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.” Psalm 100:5

Here is a short list of some of the other ways that the Lord has been faithful (I’m sure that there are more, but… I can’t think of them at the moment!)

The Lord has been faithful in providing me a wonderful place to live at a good price. I am thankful for my roommates who are easy to get along with and a blessing to live with!

The Lord has been faithful in providing me friends who enjoy working out. I am very thankful for a group of girls to workout with every day after school. This is such a huge stress relief and is keeping me healthy!

The Lord has been faithful in providing me a job at the International Community School. I have dreamt of teaching overseas for a long time! So just the opportunity to be here in Singapore and to do what I love to do, teach math, is a huge blessing! I am thankful that the Lord does give us the desires of our hearts. (“Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 34:7)

The Lord has been faithful in providing a close friend in only a short time. It usually takes me a very long time to open up and have a close friend. But, God in his faithfulness has provided me a friend, Tara, who I am already becoming close with!

So, I take this time to rejoice in God’s faithfulness! I am thankful that He is intimately a part of our lives and provides for His children in the big things and the small things.

2 comments:

  1. This is so awesome, Kara! I'm glad to read this in a blog since skyping hasn't been as easy, but hey we are making it work! I am very amazed by God's faithfulness, which seems silly, doesn't it. Because He ALWAYS is faithful in whatever we need and do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool Kara! Thanks for sharing. We are praying for you and all the people you come in contact with. God is faithful! Love you!

    ReplyDelete